Generator Safety: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning on the Construction Site
Portable generators play a crucial role on the construction site, but, if used improperly, generators can cause serious illness or death. On average, about 170 people in the United States die every year from carbon monoxide (CO) produced by generators and other consumer products.
Keep the worksite safe by implementing the following protocols for portable generator safety:
- Never use a generator indoors or in an enclosed space such as a garage, crawl space or basement—even if you open a window or door for ventilation.
- Do not use generators near doors, windows or vents that lead to occupied spaces, as CO could build up over time and poison the occupants.
- Provide at least 3 feet of space on all sides of the generator to ensure adequate ventilation.
- If workers exhibit symptoms of CO poisoning—dizziness, headaches, nausea and tiredness—get them to fresh air immediately and seek medical attention.